It’s a matter of vision when we refer to the clarity of what you see with your eyes. However, there’s a different kind of “seeing” that touches upon the psychic realm. Clairvoyance is a skill that today might be defined as seeing what isn’t visible, having psychic abilities, or the ability to see the dead. It all sounds kind of eerie, doesn’t it? We tend to fear what we don’t understand. Not only fearing the unknown, but also blocking intuitive abilities might mean you’re denying yourself a wonderful clairvoyant experience.
I’d like to shed new light and a new perspective on what clairvoyance really is, and demonstrate that we all possess clairvoyant abilities that can be developed more acutely with practice.
What is Clairvoyance?
In the 17th Century, clairvoyance literally meant “clear vision” or “clear-sighted”. It wasn’t until the 19th century that clairvoyance became associated with psychic or extra-sensory abilities. Much earlier than that, however, dreams, visions, messages from spirit, prophesies, and divination had a place among the people. In small communities and indigenous cultures, the ability to read the signs, interpret omens, or understand life came from a strong connection to nature.
Today, we’re a culture that relies heavily on electronics, wiring, and modern technology – television and computer screens, smart phones, and other hand-held devices. We live in climate-controlled buildings with wires in the walls, man-made materials off-gassing chemicals all around us. We sleep with an alarm, and drive huge machines that have the ability to go much faster and farther than one can run. We are all blessed – and cursed – with a world of convenience, manipulated to our specifications. It’s no wonder that we feel disconnected from nature and even disconnected from our own peaceful thoughts.
Clairvoyance is a natural gift that allows one to be present with oneself – mindful of what it feels like to breathe fully, sleep peacefully, and live in health. The gift of “clear sight” means that you can see through a camouflage of deception, welcome the day with gratitude for all that is to come, and be guided in your many choices to act with purpose and integrity.
The Clairvoyant Experience
If you ever had a dream that seemed real, or a vision that became true, you probably were having a clairvoyant experience. You might not have given much thought to it, and went about your day in the usual manner. If your dream or vision was someone who had passed away, or a foretelling of an incident that manifested, it might have scared you and discouraged you from developing your gift.
The clairvoyant experience doesn’t have to be profound, life-changing, or obvious. These experiences exist as little nudges, ideas, imagination, and dreams. They are meant to connect us more closely to our natural world. They go beyond the physical world by joining us to the Spirit that lives in everyone and in everything.
Shamanism and Clairvoyance
As an intuitive healer, I have developed my clairvoyant abilities over my many years as a Reiki Master and Shaman. Meditation, along with Reiki, helped me remember how to BE in the world, and reconnect with the spiritual nature and life force in everything. The indigenous cultures of the world refer to this intuitive practice as Shamanism. Very simply, a Shaman “walks between the worlds” of what is seen (visible) and what is unseen (invisible). A Shaman uses clairvoyance through journeying, among other tools, to see and know what is needed for healing, learning from guides in “other worlds” to provide assistance in the healing process.
Developing Your Clairvoyant Abilities
Getting started is easy. Devoting your life to your intuitive abilities and to a life of healing takes time and persistence, as well as passion and an open heart. One can develop clairvoyance and not become a healer. I chose to become initiated into the healing arts with Reiki and practiced constantly in order to develop clairvoyance. To me, they are now inseparable. In fact, along with clairvoyance, I’ve developed other intuitive abilities including clairaudience, clairsentience, and channeling.
To help you begin, I recommend this “get started” list. Try as many as possible, and don’t give up. Also, don’t try too hard. Get out of your “thinking” mind and into the dreamlike world that brings you peace.
- Practice yoga. The peaceful movements and body positions connect all aspects of you – body, mind, soul.
- Practice meditation. Some people find meditation difficult because they have trouble turning off their brains. They’re consumed with thoughts and worries. However, the more you practice, the easier it becomes. Start with a meditation minute and gradually increase the time – every day, if possible.
- Breathe. Become aware of your breath. Take deep breaths, shallow breaths, belly breaths, and even hold your breath. The more you become aware of your breath, the more you become involved with connecting to the feeling of meditative breathing.
- Take the moment. Right when you wake up (without an alarm, preferably), or just as you’re falling asleep, notice the peaceful, dreamlike messages that come through. By the way, this is a great time to ask a question. Be prepared to get an answer!
- Journal. Write down your dreams, coincidences, feelings, and situations that help provide “proof” that you’re intuitive.
- Walk in nature. Hike, dance, stroll, and lay on the grass, the beach, or the mountain. Becoming grounded is essential to developing intuition and clairvoyance.
- Change your mind. Be open to the possibility that you are intuitive and you can develop your clairvoyant abilities.
- Use healing tools. Work with crystals and essential oils. Use smudge (burn sage) and clear your space of physical junk as well as emotional garbage. When you have a clean space, both energetically and physically, you have a better place to nurture your gifts.
- Become attuned to Reiki. Learn the practice of Reiki. Reiki opens up your connection to Spirit and teaches you the basics of energetic self-care, chakra balancing, and hands-on-healing for others.
- Make a list of your ideas, wishes, good thoughts, and what you want to bring to the world. Your ideas and wishes become reality. Clairvoyance will help guide you and help you connect to your personal visions.
Second Nature Healing Center
At my healing center, we offer Integrative Shamanic Reiki Classes and a program that helps you recognize and develop your intuitive abilities. Join us for classes and our unique Shamanic Apprentice Program.
Reiki Master, Shaman